Thomas and I arrived in Santo Domingo on the 29th and stayed at Hostel Nòmadas, my favorite hostel. They always make sure that I´m taken care of no matter what. Their rooms are clean and comfortable too, with hot water, air conditioning, and a fridge for only $40. We stayed there until the third and I was able to give Thomas an insider´s tour of Santo Domingo with Wilman´s help. I think we ended up staying too long in Santo Domingo and may have even had a chance to visit Miches if we had planned better, but I think we both still had fun. Then we took a Caribe Tours bus to Monte Cristi, which only ended up being a 4 and a half hour trip when it was supposed to take over 6 hours. It was because the roads were good. I didn´t really like Monte Cristi that much because there wasn´t much to do so we headed to Santiago for a night after I had accomplished all of my lobster house duties. Santiago was interesting. We went to the Centro Leon, which is a museum dedicated to the history of the DR. We were the only people in there besides three others. It was the most deserted museum that I have ever been in. They had some interesting exhibits though. Then we went to the Monument in the center of town and had to pay to get to the top and take pictures. It had a fantastic view of Santiago. I liked Santiago. Thomas described it like Boston compared to New York. It is smaller, cleaner, and the people are better educated and have a higher income. It´s carro pùblico system is also a lot easier to understand because there are only a few main roads, making it difficult to take the wrong route. The photos shown here are a little out of order because blogger.com can be difficult sometimes, especially for someone as technologically-uninclined as I am.
This is a photo of Thomas on top of the hill we hiked in Monte Cristi. I love this photo, despite what he says. :P
This is a photo of Rinconcito, monastery ruins where they have live music ever Sunday night. People start setting up their chairs around five and the show starts at 7. The entire hillside is covered with people. It is my favorite event to go to in Santo Domingo.
Here is a photo of the guagua we took to the airport outside of Santo Domingo. Darien had left my phone at the Europecar office so that I could use it while I was in the capital and in Monte Cristi. Unfortunately I didn´t know it was there when I got off the plane so had to go back to the airport. Usually it is a $30-40 cab ride each way. Since I didn´t want to pay that hefty price, which was actually more than the phone cost, I combined tourism with business and along the way was able to introduce Thomas to the guagua system, a motoconcho ride, gave him a tour of La Caleta park, went to Los Tres Ojos, and the Faro de Colòn. I also was able to prove that you could get to the airport without paying a taxi and we ended up only paying 150 pesos for the two of us. We took the guagua to Boca Chica from around Parque Enriquillo that cost 90 peso and they dropped us off about 1.5 km to the airport. The we took a motoconcho the rest of the way for 60 pesos. On the way back we took a cab ride to Los Tres Ojos and I was able to talk the driver down to 500 pesos and we walked all the way back to Zona Colonial, but did some sight-seeing along the way.
Thanks for the awesome trip :)
ReplyDelete