Friday, February 18, 2011

New Fulton Fish Market

A few weeks ago I went with Thomas to the New Fulton Fish Market at on a quest for live snails and crayfish  for my aquaponics system. : ) We got on the bus at around 4:30 in the morning and got there by 6 and already most of the fish was gone! The market is from 1-7 in the morning and the peak time is around 4. As you can see from the picture below, it wasn't very crowded but they have pedestrian walkways that line the fish vendors and the center remains free for the forklifts and other vehicles to pass through.



The New Fulton Fish Market is located on Food Center Drive in the lower Bronx. It used to be located on Fulton Ave. in lower Manhattan where it had been since 1807. Up to 5% of the fish consumed in the US moves through the market and has the largest consortium of wholesalers in the US. (This is why I thought it would be worth while to check out if they had snails and crayfish). Restaurant and supermarket owners come to the market daily to pick out fish. However, the market moved because the rent was high and the fish were exposed to the elements so in 2005, it moved to its current location where the temperature of the warehouse is controlled to make sure that the fish doesn't spoil and it is very sanitary. However, the fishers say that the new location doesn't have as much character as the old location. Oh well, I guess I should have moved to NYC sooner.  

I did find some frozen spiny lobster tails! Sadly no live ones, but we did see some live Maine lobsters though, which is to be expected.

These ones are from Brazil!

There were some interesting fish there. I don't know what species of fish these two are!

 I definitely want to come to the market during it's peak time to see all of the activity and the fish. : ) 

No comments:

Post a Comment