Saturday, May 12, 2012

Another New Title: Restoration Research Assistant

I've actually had a new position working for Parks since the end of February but haven't assigned time to update my blog since my last job change... I was unemployed for three months and although I had many volunteer experiences that are relevant to this blog, between volunteering and applying for jobs, there wasn't enough time for me to write posts about them. I still maintain many of the contacts that I have made so it shouldn't be difficult to integrate them into the blog in future posts.

I really like my job. I'm working in the same office with the same people but my supervisor is Kathleen instead of Ferdie. We have two wetland restoration projects we are working on: saltmarsh and upland restoration in Soundview Park in the Bronx and a stormwater remediation project in Meadow Lake in Queens. I have been learning a lot from Kathleen because I have never worked on wetland restoration before. Working for Parks has lead to many interesting learning experiences. First working on oyster reef restoration, building fences on Prall's Island, and now this assignment. I think I would enjoy being a seasonal for a few more years. My learning experiences this year have included researching floating islands, reading stormwater and electrical maps, purchasing plants and other essentials, and experiencing the complex permitting process.

The Soundview project is under construction and Meadow Lake is in the design phase and should begin construction next year if permitting goes according to plan. I'll delve into the details in each of the projects in separate blog posts and I hope to be updating my blog more often than once every six months... : )

No comments:

Post a Comment