Monday, September 6, 2010

Lobster Measuring and Dominoes

My last week in the DR was packed with activity and was a few weeks ago so I only remember the highlights. There are also photos that I'm waiting on so I will describe further details in subsequent blog postings. This lobster is a photo of the largest lobster I was able to measure. It was caught at a depth of 120 feet with a compressor and is 30 centimeters long!
I spent a lot of time hanging out at Los Mameyes. During that time I learned how to pass the time playing the beloved Domininican pastime of dominoes. However, in Los Mameyes they play it differently. It is also the only way that I know how to play dominoes so I can't compare it very well with other variations. They play dominoes with concrete blocks. There are no teams and the loser of the previous round has to put a block on their shoulder for the next game. It is entertaining and a workout. When someone wins by capicua, which is when the winning domino matches both ends, the loser has to put two blocks on their shoulder! This is a photo of Fran passing the block to me because I lost. I tended to lose a lot... It did make my shoulders stronger though! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment